Jackson County, Mississippi offers an extensive
transportation network that includes major
highways,the Port of Pascagoula, major railways,
Trent Lott International Airport, and a mass transit
system – the Coast Transit Authority.
Jackson County, Mississippi is well connected to the rest of the country by major highway and interstate routes.
Interstate 10 runs east west from California to Florida.
US Highway 90 runs east west and along the Gulf Coast.
Highways 57, 63, 611 & 613 run north south within Mississippi.
The Port of Pascagoula is a full-service deepwater port.
- Located on the Gulf of Mexico in the southeastern part of Mississippi
- One of the most accessible ports in the Gulf for deepwater foreign and domestic commerce.
- The Port’s Pascagoula River Harbor is 13 miles and Bayou Casotte Harbor is 11 miles from the deep water of the world shipping lanes
- Maximum pilotage time of 60 to 90 minutes.
- 4 miles from the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway
The Port of Pascagoula has two harbors with facilities for handling general cargo, break-bulk cargo, refrigerated cargo, bulk and bagged grains. Entrance to both harbors is via the main Pascagoula Ship Channel which is 42 feet deep and 350 feet wide.
The Bayou Casotte Channel continues north into the harbor with the same depth and width. From the juncture, the Pascagoula River Channel (38 feet deep and 350 feet wide) branches west into the Pascagoula River Harbor.
Other local ports include:
- Port of Gulfport located in Gulfport, Mississippi
- Port Bienville located in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi
The Mississippi Export Railroad (MSE) is a 42-mile short line railroad extending from Evanston, Mississippi to the north and Pascagoula, Mississippi.
- MSE is the north-south corridor
- Connects the Canadian National Railroad and the east-west line of CSX Transportation
- These connections and their alliances link the Gulf to all points on the continent, coast to coast, and into the heartland of the United States through to Canada and Mexico.
- Mississippi Export’s track accommodates unit trains with loads up to 286,000 lbs/car
- The MSE has 29,000 feet of track space for lease and car management
- Five MSE locomotives along with 92 Plate C
- 50 foot SM cushioned boxcars and 170 Plate C
- 50 foot equipped with 70-ton and 100-ton trucks
CSX Transportation, Inc. (CSX) is one of the nation’s premier transportation companies, providing rail-based transportation services. CSX provides a crucial link to the transportation supply chain through its approximately 21,000 route mile rail network, which serves every major population center in 23 states east of the Mississippi River, the District of Columbia, and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec. It serves 70 ocean, river, and lake ports along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, the Mississippi River, the Great Lakes andthe St. Lawrence Seaway. CSX also serves thousands of production and distribution facilities through track connections to more than 230 short-line and regional railroads.
- CSX operates over and maintains approximately 130 miles of track along the Mississippi Gulf Coast
- Handles more than 62,000 carloads of freight annually
- Products shipped include textile chemicals, pulpboard, plastics, liquified petroleum gas, and other petroleum products
- Invested more than $11 million to maintain and upgrade track in 2007
Trent Lott International Airport (TLIA) is a general aviation airport strategically located at the intersection of Interstate 10 and 4-lane Highway 63 in Moss Point, Mississippi. TLIA is within a general purpose Foreign Trade Zone with U.S. Customs Service available. Other features of Trent Lott International Airport include:
- Runway is 6500 feet long by 100 feet wide with plans to lengthen another 500 feet
- Supports 60,000 pounds per wheel for dual wheel loading
- Equipped with an Instrument Landing System
- Equipped with ASOS–Weather Reporting System
- Only General Use airport in the country with FAA clearance to flight test the Fire Scout Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
In addition to Trent Lott International Airport, Jackson County is served by two neighboring airports:
- Gulfport / Biloxi International Airport in Gulfport, Mississippi
- Mobile Regional Airport in Mobile, Alabama
The Coast Transit Authority offers public transportation in the area of Jackson County, Mississippi as well as throughout the Mississippi Gulf Coast area. For more information regarding transportation in Jackson County, Mississippi please visit the Mississippi Department of Transportation website.
The Mississippi ports of Pascagoula and Gulfport signed agreements in Cuba on Monday with an eye to future business and with a Republican U.S. senator from the state
Ingalls Shipbuilding and VT Halter Marine of Pascagoula were among five companies that were awarded firm, fixed-price contracts from the U.S. Coast
Call Toll-Free: (800) 362-0103 • Fax: (228) 762-8431 • Email: P.O. Drawer 1558, Pascagoula, MS 39568-1558
©2015, Jackson County Economic Development Foundation, Inc.